It's time to accept it; we have all been there. One moment everything is fine, but just the next minute, your dog starts peeing on your fancy blue Persian in the hallway.
Keeping a pet is an extremely joyous thing for most of us; however, accidents can happen all the time. To look after a pet is a full-time job and to train them is even more important, so they don't mess up your furniture, carpets or any other place in the house.
Having a pet at home means shedding, dander, drool, claws, and much more. Hence you must keep your house clean as well as the pet grooming. Otherwise, you can face a lot of health issues and can disturb hygiene. Pets love to enjoy cuddling and crawling on the carpets, which means you must be vigilant about keeping your carpets clean.
As per the 2019-2020 National Pet Owners Survey, around 85 million families in the USA alone own a pet, and a dog is the most commonly owned pet. Keeping a pet at home helps reduce loneliness as well as helps in health-related issues.
Keeping your pet clean and groomed can help you stay away from allergies, asthma, and other diseases. You must regularly take your pet to the vet and make sure there are no health-related issues with your dog. The dander and shedding of pet hair can also be harmful to your own health.
Things to Keep in Mind When You Have a Pet At Home
Here are a few tips that you should follow while keeping a pet at home:
Purchase Stain Resistant Carpet
- Cleaning Pet Urine
- Keep your Pet's Nails Trimmed
- Vacuum Twice Per Week
- Use a Carpet Powder for Homes with Pets
- Use professional cleaning services
Even after training, you can expect a few accidents here and there. Your pet peeing on your carpets can cause a really bad odor which can cause unease for yourself and those visiting your house. Therefore, pet-owners must be prepared for such accidents and must know how to properly clean the carpets afterwards.
How to Get Rid Of Urine from Carpets
Let's have a look at few ways through which you can get rid of urine from carpets:
The products that you must have at home at all times include:
- Dishwashing sponge: dishwashing sponges come in handy while cleaning after your pets and removing stains from sofas or carpets.
- Toothbrush: toothbrushes are effective in cleaning the surface with smaller openings: the soft bristles effectively clean carpets and sofa surfaces without damaging the fabric.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is one of the ingredients that everyone has at home. Its acidic nature helps in the disinfection and cleaning of surfaces.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and is excellent is cleaning surfaces.
Method 1: Use Enzymatic Cleaner
As soon as you see your dog peeing on the carpet, do the following:
First of all, you must identify the stain.
- Once you find the stain, place paper towels on it to soak up as much of the wetness as possible. You can also use a wet vacuum if possible.
- The next step is to drench the spot with an enzymatic cleaner or a home-made cleaner. You can easily find it at a supermarket. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes or follow the instruction written on the cleaner.
- Wipe the surface clean with a damp towel.
- Now leave a damp cloth over the stain for over 24 hours to get rid of the odor and stain completely. You can then use a home air freshener to freshen up the things afterwards.
Method 2: Use Home-made Solution of Vinegar and Baking Soda
If you do not want to or cannot use store brought cleaners, you can also make a cleaner at home using a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar. Follow the steps mentioned in method 1 and replace the enzymatic cleaner with the home-made solution.
To further neutralize the odor, you should put baking soda on top of the vinegar solution. Due to the reaction between vinegar and baking soda, you will see a foam on the surface that will further cleanse the surface.
Leave the home-made solution on the stain for 10 – 15 minutes and then wipe with a damp cleaning towel. Rub the cloth gently, and then place a clean damp towel on the stain for 24 hours.
Method 3: Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid Of Dog Urine
Hydrogen peroxide is also an effective item to clean dog urine stains. Let's have a look at how can you clean a dog's urine from carpets using hydrogen peroxide:
You will need:
- Spray bottle
Once you have the ingredients, here is what you should do:
- Mix half a cup of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tbsp. of dishwashing soap. Make sure the liquid you are using is the one that you use for hand washing dishes, not the machine dishwasher.
- Put the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the stain and use a toothbrush to rub the stain.
- Leave the mixture on the stain to dry out completely.
- You should also do a patch test to see if it doesn't bleach your carpets.
Useful Tips when Cleaning Dog Urine from Carpets
Clean it while it’s fresh
If you just found out that your dog has peed on a carpet, then you should clean it immediately. Leaving cleanup for another day will only worsen the mess; the urine will soak inside the carpet, it will be harder to wash it out, and your home will smell like dog pee for days.
Clean Using Enzymes
Enzymes, the macromolecular biological catalysts, are great for removing stains of all types. This is why enzymatic cleaners are suggested for cleaning pet urine and stool. Cleaning agents with enzymes will help you in getting rid of the lingering smells and stains more effectively.
Usually, the packaging also has instructions on how to use the product; make sure you follow the exact method to avoid any damage to your carpets.
Use a Vacuum
If, for some reason, you couldn't get time or couldn't identify your dog's pee on the carpet and have to clean it later on, you must use a vacuum cleaner for that.
We recommend you use a wet vacuum cleaner and first wet the whole carpet with warm water. This way, you can get rid of the smell and thoroughly clean the carpet.
To Sum It Up
The above-mentioned are a few ways through which you can clean the odor of your dog's urine from the carets at home. We suggest that if you own a pet at home, you must also get frequent professional cleaning services to make sure your carpets are clean. Carpet Cleaning Eastbourne, a cleaning service, offers a wide range of cleaning services which you can avail to ensure the cleanliness at your house.