Health & Safety
Each model of the K9 Sport Sack® was carefully crafted under the direction of multiple veterinarians and dog trainers. However, no dog or breed is the same in terms of weight, body type, current health, and other distinguishing factors. To ensure the K9 Sport Sack is right for your dog, please read more about our health and safety information below.
All K9 Sport Sack Backpack Carriers are Equipped with Six Standard Safety Features
Carabiner Collar Clip
Use this to clip to your dog's collar, securing your pet inside your backpack carrier. It will prevent your pup from climbing out.
Buckling and tightening this around your dogs neck will ensure your dog doesn't force itself up and out of the bag and helps prevent leaning as well. Be sure to tighten this enough.
Angled Side Cinch Straps
These two straps are found on the upper sides of all K9 Sport Sack carriers. They help tighten the material around your dog, keeping he/she close to your shoulders and preventing your pet from leaning backwards.
Once the main zipper is zipped it will lock in place so that no weight or pressure will force it back open.
The main loop on the zipper functions as a safety precaution mechanism to ensure your zipper remains zipped while your pet is in the carrier. Simply thread the collar enclosure buckle through the loop once zipped.
It is important that your pet's temperature is regulated while in a carrier. The mesh side panels allow for airflow to keep your dog comfortable.
Common FAQ Regarding K9 Sport Sack® Health & Safety
- Each model of the K9 Sport Sack® was carefully crafted under the direction of multiple veterinarians and dog trainers.
- As long as your dog does not have any pre-existing health conditions, you are using each standard safety feature, and the carrier is being worn correctly within the recommended 30-45 use time, our carriers have not been associated with negative health issues.
- However, we recommend consulting your vet if your dog has any pre-existing conditions associated with your dog's back.
- During the consultation, it will be important for your vet to be aware that your dog may stand on the base of the bag at first, but will quickly settle in and sit in an upright position on their bottom that is very similar to the begging position. Their front paws will be exposed and resting on your shoulders.
- If your dog has pre-existing health concerns we recommend consulting your veterinarian before purchasing.
- During the consultation, it will be important to know your dog may stand on the base of the bag at first, but will settle in to sit in an upright position on their bottom. Their front paws will be exposed and resting on your shoulders. We recommend using the carrier between 30-45 minute increments at a time.
- The K9 Sport Sack® is not prescribed for any injury, ailment or other infirmity. While the K9 Sport Sack® has been approved by veterinarians for use by all breeds, various breeds have anatomical differences that may require increased vigilance, decreased riding time, changes in positioning or size of carrier.
- If your dog has any of the following conditions, do not purchase any K9 Sport Sack® carrier without first consulting your veterinarian:
Back injuries, neck injuries, abdominal injuries, chest injuries, heart conditions, lung conditions, glaucoma, within the healing period after an orthopedic surgery or within 24 hours of any surgery that required sedation.
- Each model of the K9 Sport Sack® was carefully crafted under the direction of multiple veterinarians and dog trainers. Although great care has been taken to ensure the maximum safety of you and your pet, outdoor activities contain inherent risks which can be increased by the weight of a pet on your back.
- Please do not attempt any activity at which you are not proficient and possess the strength to do so. K9 Sport Sack® accepts no liability for any injury or death, either yours or your pets caused by accident or misuse of the K9 Sport Sack®.
- Do not use the K9 Sport Sack® for extended time periods in extreme weather conditions. This includes hot or cold temperatures. Please remember to keep your dog hydrated and fed and cease use immediately if your dog exhibits any signs of overheating.